How to Be a Database Administrator
Data Base Administrator
A database administrator organises and maintains complex databases. They do this by using specialist software, ensuring that they maintain the security of the database whilst troubleshooting and checking for any bugs.
A database administrator is in charge of the maintenance, planning, development and security of a database. They can work across a range of industries – many which require complicated databases.
Many companies produce a colossal amount of data, and this generally goes straight into the database. However, certain methods are needed to ensure that the database stays secure, organised, and accessible to who needs it. Database administrators take care of this.
The duties of a database administrator will include:
- Updating the database server when necessary.
- Monitoring security on the databases and troubleshooting for any issues.
- Organising the database, from both the front-end and the back-end.
- Refining the logical and physical designs.
- Adhering to the data protection act.
- Writing database documentation for other employees to read.
- Working with other professionals, including IT project managers, multimedia programmers, and database programmers.
Some database administrators are graduates, although not all. Relevant degrees are computer science, information technology, or computer software. Non-graduates could take a college qualification or undertake supplementary courses to help with their knowledge in the field. Work experience is also beneficial; work shadowing another database administrator, or having an entry role in IT could strengthen a candidate’s application.
Candidates should demonstrate various skills to become a database administrator. Problem-solving is very important for database administrators, as they will often need to solve issues related to their database.
They will need to work with other professionals across all departments. This means that database administrators should exhibit strong communication, teamwork, and negotiation abilities.
They will also need to be flexible; they may be required to work extra hours when necessary or adapt to working needs. They must also be organised, as they will often need to work to meet tight deadlines.
Due to these deadlines, the working hours of a database administrator can be unsocial. They generally work in an informal environment and can work from home on a contractual basis. There are lots of opportunities to work across a range of industries, so there are lots of job opportunities.
What degree is most commonly held by a Data Base Administrator ?
- Associates Degree in Computer Science and Information Technology
- Bachelor of Computer Engineering
- Bachelor of Computer Science
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Engineering
- Masters of Information Technology
Career Transportability across Countries
What is the Salary of a Data Base Administrator ?
|Experience||Average salary | year|
|Database Administrator||1-3 yrs||$47,968||£35,000||$66,532|
|Database Administrator||3-5 yrs||$72,098||£69,302||$72,302|
|Database Administrator||5-10 yrs||$90,000||£75,000||$80,000|
What skills are needed to become a Data Base Administrator ?
- Microsoft SQL Server
- Database Administration
- Performance Tuning
- Database Design
- Disaster Recovery
- Data Warehousing
- Data Migration
- Oracle RAC
- SQL Tuning
- High Availability
- Shell Scripting
- Windows Server
- Business Intelligence
Database Administrator Courses
- Digital Media Analytics: Using Data from Owned Media
Learn how to get valuable insights from social media by translating your past and present social media 'flow' into data
- Programming 103: Saving and Structuring Data
Learn how to save and structure data in external files and import files back into your Python programs Supported by Google
- Introduction to Databases and SQL
Discover how databases work and how to use SQL in this introductory course Supported by Google
- Cloud Computing Practitioner with AWS Academy Cloud Foundations
Build the technical skills you need to work in the fastgrowing sector of cloud computing and prepare for an AWS Certification